Did you know that the slate quarried today started to form during the Lower Paleozoic era, 545 million years ago?
Slate is composed of fine grains of quartz and mica, either muscovite or illite, along with a range of other minerals all mixed together. The precise mineral composition and their relative quantities influence the shingles color and appearance.
Slate is found generally in mountains. It is being quarried in large blocks that are called slabs. These blocks are then chopped up into smaller slabs for distribution and later perfectly refined for shingles.
Slate can be made into roofing tiles, also called roofing shingles. They are in fact considered the world’s best roofs.
Here are some advantages:
1. Slates have a lot of variety. They are usually sourced from Spain, China, North America, Brazil and Canada. There is a distinguishing color and characteristic of slate that causes a stunning and noteworthy look.
2. These roofing slates has an outstanding durability as they could last longer compared to any other type of roofs.
3. Slate roofs has a low water absorption index. The effect of this is that slate roofs a less prone to frost breakage and deterioration.
4. They are the perfect material for a durable roof and they can be sliced into thin layers.
5. Because the slate comes from natural stone grains, they are more durable under high pressure or under extreme temperature. The products have the same vein as natural stones, and their qualities are better than natural stones.
6. Slate roof contributes for a greener living and helps with the ventilation of your home. Slate roof could reflect sunlight and keep you home cool during the summer time or it winter time, it traps the heat and keep your home warm .
7. Slate roofs are fire-resistant.
8. They have a track record that goes back thousands of years.
After knowing the advantages, would it be easy to install this type of roof? and what kind of equipment do you need for it’s installation?
Advise to chossing a roofing company:
1. Since slate is a natural material, it can crack off easily. An inexperienced installer can easily crack the slates.
2. The life of the slate roof may be vary depending oh how properly it was installed.
3. Flashings, major elements of a slate roof eventually wear off. These are metal joints around chimneys and around pipes that protrude through the roof. Your roofing company of choice should know how to be able to change in the future.
4. An inappropriately installed slate roof tile or inappropriately repaired roof, as shown by tar splotches on roofs, disproportionate slate tiles, metal patchwork and coated roofs will lead to problems for the homeowner with leakage, roof breakage and eventual replacement.
5. Be very cautious if they use copper nails and if they are not fixing or replacing the underlayment of the roof, this is not often seen but it could greatly decrease the life span of the slate roof.
Be sure the roofing contractor that you would hire knows very how to do their craft and has been in the industry long enough to cater to your roofing needs.
Chapman Roofing is a Vancouver Roofing Company that is equipped with qualified people and the best equipment for all your roofing needs.
For a free consultation, visit our website by clicking this link – Roofing Vancouver